So, my birthday was a few days ago. Sure, it sounds dramatic of me to say that I’m getting up there but I mean, I am really getting up there, man. Lol. Where does the time even go? Despite entering maw maw status by making my way into the latter years of my 20s (whoop!), I'm beyond blessed and grateful to have been able to see yet another year of life! 25 was full of lessons, sadness, joy, ups and downs, etc., so i'm excited to see what 26 has in the works for me.
I celebrated my day with a couple good friends at Luke Restaurant in the Central Business District. It was only right that I wore the jazzy dress you see above and strappy heels in attempts to turn the sexy on. Ha, I think the mission was accomplished. That's how it's suppose to be on your birthday, though-- you have to fuck it up. #SISYOUBETTERSLAY. My birthday had a rough start (typical) but as it went on, things got a lot better. The drinks were flowing, the food was amazing and I was surrounded with so so much love.
As i sit back and reflect, I really have learned a lot about myself over the years. By allowing myself to be as transparent as possible, that's helped me uncover some shit about me that I didn't even know was a thing, like wtf? I've had so many aha moments, breakthroughs and realizations, and I honestly credit all of that to my open-mindedness. When you can look your truths in the eye and not flinch out of utter disappointment but more so just accept what's there, you're workin' with something. You can get better.
So, here we go. 26 things i've learned over the years in 5, 4, 3, 2.........
1. Everybody is running on their own time. Deal with it.
2. The love you give out may not always be reciprocated, but that's okay. Keep doing you.
3. People are fucking selfish (see numero 1).
4. Alone time is highly essential to my wellbeing. It makes no sense to force myself to be around people, ew.
5. People are annoying.
6. Peanut butter is the goat and will forever be the GOAT. I don't care who disagrees. It's amazing.
7. People make time for stuff that's important to them. If you ever come across someone who just seems too damn busy ALL the time, yeah--they're just not foolin' with you like that. But don't trip! There's tons of people that do want you around that would gladly clear their schedule on your behalf.
8. Pizza, ice cream and a good cathartic cry never hurt nobody. Let it out, sis.
9. Dogs are loyal. Loyal AF.
10. Just because something makes sense to you doesn't mean others will agree.
11. Drinking red wine while reading a good book will never get old.
12. Some people are real life manipulators. They don't want to see you shine unless they're included in your glory. They don't genuinely want you to be happy unless they're the reason behind your smile. Fuck them and keep it moving. Until they seek mental assistance, that's all they're gonna bring to the table so, issa hell no. Its BEEN a hell no.
13. Surround yourself with love. Love is high vibrations. Love is support. Love is genuine and pure. Though it's not always easy, it is constructive and helpful. You deserve all of that, always. Never shortchange yourself.
14. Your past doesn't define you. We're human and we make mistakes. It makes no sense to beat yourself down about something that has already happened. Just strive to do better. If in fact you fail to do better the first time around, get your shit in order and try again. No worries.
15. Baseball players are the sexiest of them all.
16. When it rains, it mf pours.
17. Okay so, there's nothing wrong with canceling plans to stay in and do nothing. I'll take Netflix and chill for 500, Alex.
18. A lot of people don't love you like they say they love you.
19. Meditation is key to remaining level headed and calm no matter what. Yes, you'll experience negative emotions, people will piss you off and your life can seem like it's in shambles, but meditation helps bring you back to being centered. Process the feelings, then return to a state where you're vibrating higher.
20. Friends come and go. The real ones are never gonna fall off.
21. Having more associates than actual friends is a good thing. People talk too much. Keep your biz to yourself because people are just nosey anyway.
22. Treating yourself is beautiful and should be done often. You can't take any of this shit with you, so you might as well indulge within reason. Like, let's be responsible, y'all. You don't need to be treating yourself to no $200 dinner if you still have a bill to take care of. Prioritize and treat yourself within reason.
23. Having expectations of people will almost always end in disappointment. Always.
24. Spicy chicken nuggets were the best thing to ever happen to Wendy's. They gotta bring those back ASAP.
25. Kind hearted people go through a lot of brutality because people try to use others when they can. A lot of people mistake kindness for weakness, but don't take this personal. The way they treat you says everything about them and has nothing to do with you. Also, look on the bright side; things usually get pretty damn shitty before they get better--if you're going through a storm, keep pushing. Your good stuff is on the way.
26. Smiling makes shit better. It just does.
peace and blessings,